


1874 Mike and Anna Reitz 107 Maple Street
Mike and Anna purchased their home in 1977 from William and Inez Biery. The home is the oldest house in Battle Creek, having been built in 1874, before the railroad arrived in 1877. Many families still lived in the village of Willow Dale near the confluence of the Battle Creek and the Maple River. However, due to constant spring flooding, these families began to seek higher ground away from the river.
The four square home has been owned by A.C. Johnston, John S. and Mary Peffer, Edwin F. Peffer and Byrdena Peffer, Mary Peffer Jensen, Rachel Churchill, George Churchill and Fanny Cutter, Emmett & Marlene Heyer, William & Ethel Bockelmann, Jr., and James & Cherie McFarland. For many years, it was a boarding house for travelers and managed by the Churchill family. The Reitz’s have added siding and a front entry, replaced the windows and roof and built a double car garage in back to maintain the house in excellent condition. VVVVVV

This large and attractive home, owned by Kevin and Tammie Dausel, has always been a prominent fixture on the very northwest corner of Battle Creek.
Franklin Teel bought 160 acres from the railroad in 1878 for $800 on the northwest side of Battle Creek. Part of the property passed on to R. E. Weaver, Ed M. Bush and to C. M. Greenfield who built a large home on it in 1900. He sold it to Thomas Crane in 1906 who sold it to Charles Crane in 1926 and on to Floyd ‘Duke’ and Minnie McClain in 1929. They owned the house until 1971. They were well known in Battle Creek for starting the dairy queen, “Duke ‘n Min’s” in the mid 1950’s. Remember when a hamburger and malt were each 25 cents?
The next owners include Joyce and Boyd Rogge (1971), Frank and Marlene Muckenhirn (1977), and Dave and Joyce Johnson (1980). The Johnson’s added an outside swimming pool. The current owners purchased the home in 2007 and have added a deck around the pool, remodeled the attic for extra bedroom space and added a patio to the west side.
Submitted by Kevin and Tammie Dausel with Keith Brown Picture Below VVVVVV
1903 Schumann Farm, Wayne and Judee Schumann Ida County, Battle 34-35
Wayne and Judee (Schumacher) Schumann purchased their family century farm in 1999 from his father Robert’s brother, the Carl and Ethel Schumann estate. The farm became the Schumann family century farm in 2003.
It was 1894 when Wayne’s grandfather, Otto Schumann, wife Lina (Langhammer) Schumann, and three small children, Lina, 7 (John Graham), Otto Jr., 5 (Lina Hobert) and Francis, 3 (John Hayward) of Leipzig, Germany made the Atlantic crossing, with their valuables in a small oak box fitted with a copper tray and a lock. Otto was a brewer in Germany and a brother living in Ida County apparently sponsored them. Otto worked on his brother’s farm, Ben Schumann who lived south of Ida Grove, until they were able to make their own start.
Otto purchased 240 acres in Battle Township in 1903 for $46.50 an acre. He continued to buy more land in the neighborhood for several years. Six more children were born in the U.S. to add to the three, Antonie (Ira Brotzman), Emily “Millie”(August Albertsen), Emma (Fred Moltman), Bill (Hazel Crawford), Carl (Ethel Hemer) and Robert (Irene Viereck). It wasn’t until 1911 that they all became naturalized citizens. Without these offspring, farming those acres could not have been accomplished. Much of the farmwork was cooperation between the neighbors such grading the roads, putting up hay, and threshing the oats.
Many of the buildings are gone now on the farm. There is no longer a use or need for many that are left such as the corncrib, a small hog shed or the brick smokehouse. The old threshing machine stands as a reminder of change and lost neighborhoods. Many farmsteads are completely gone, and for those of us who can remember, they are now but a memory.
Change cannot be stopped but it can be noted, and what has gone before can be appreciated and applauded. Those who began farming a hundred or more years ago brought change and progress with them, too. America’s farming pioneers probably would not have wanted it any other way.
submitted by Wayne and Judee Schumann with Dixie Brueck
Below: Wayne and Judee Schumann Century Farm about 1960 Below v v v v

John and Louanna ( Reed) Susie Farm 1888-2014 Battle 32
At age 101 ½, Hattie Susie opened the front door of her home on a warm August afternoon and welcomed me in for a visit about the Susie Century Farm. Hattie still enjoys life, watching television and keeping in touch with her family. Her son, Vernon works at Winnavegas Casino and lives with his mother, assisting her to stay in her own home.
John Susie (6/10/1861-11/12/1956) arrived in Bedford, Connecticut from the Azores Islands, a territory of Portugal in 1877, having spent 2 years as a cabin boy on a ship. He then spent 4.5 years working on a whaling ship out of Bedford. He made his way West working on the Milwaukee railroad tracks and working for farmers along the way, arriving in Ida County Iowa in 1881. He purchased his first 80 acres in 1888, and purchased more land close by in subsequent years.
Louanna Reed (9/12/1871-5/29/1953) was born in Butler, Missouri. After the death of her Mother at a young age, she was taken in by Mr. & Mrs. Sampson Goehring. They came to Ida County in a covered wagon and spent the first winter in that covered wagon. That cold winter probably helped early arthritis settle in Louanna’s bones about age 30, and she was in a wheelchair by about age 35. The family settled on one of the Susie farms, just East of the home place where a house used to be but burned many years later.
John and Louanna were married on June 6, 1888. The large 5 bedroom home was built about 1910 for their large family, providing a wide vista in every direction.
They had 9 children: Mary (Dave Van Houten), Jean (Dave Watson), Allie (Ben Kabisch), John, Jr. (Della Anderson), Zoma (Louie Martens), Mildred (Alfred Hansen), Reed (Hattie Cassens from Anthon), Francis (Elsie Hansen) and Vera Murel, infant death.
Reed Elliott Susie (1903-1966) married Hattie Cassens (1913) on December 5, 1931 in Elk Point, South Dakota. They had 6 children: Reed, Jr. (infant death), Vernon, Beverly (Dan Carter), John (Janet Wagner), Gary (Norma Stidman) and Sharon. Reed and Hattie were living on a rented farm near Sac City when Reed’s father, John, age 95, died in 1956. They moved to the home farm in March 1958. After Reed died, Vernon took over the farming operation with Hattie remaining in the big house.
Hattie worked at Good Samaritan Home in Holstein for about 20 years before retiring. She has 11 grandchildren, 23 great grandchildren and 22 great, great grandchildren .
submitted by Hattie Susie and Beverly (Susie) Carter with Dixie Brueck
Susie Farm Below v v v v

1901 Ludwig Farm, Noel Ludwig Ida County, Maple 36
Guyneith and Noel Ludwig
The Century Farm belonging to Noel Ludwig is located south of Battle Creek in Section 36 of Maple Township. Noel’s grandfather, Wilhelm Ludwig, came from Germany and purchased the land in 1901. Noel’s father, Berthold ‘Bert’ and his mother, Josephine (Muller) Ludwig became the owners in the 1930’s. Noel married Guyneith Smith on November 11, 1959 and they became the owners in 1969. Noel was born at home in 1934, and has lived on the same farm his entire life of 80 years. He and Guyneith raised row crop along with a dairy operation. They had three children: Josephine Palmer, Rodney and Sharlene Osborn. Guyneith died in 1997 and Noel with 5 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren and one on the way, continues to enjoy life on the farm.
1910 Ludwig Farm, Noel Ludwig Ida County, Maple 35
Berthold ‘Bret’, Lawrence, Cora, Frances, Josephine Ludwig
taken about 1925. Son Noel was born in 1934.
The other Century Farm belonging to Noel Ludwig is the second farm Wilhelm Ludwig purchased in the rural Battle Creek area. It is located in Section 35 of Maple Township directly across the road from the home farm. The farm was purchased in 1910. It was then purchased by Wilhelm’s brother Gustav in 1917. Noel’s brother Lawrence became the owner in 1953 and then his sister Frances owned it in 1970 after Lawrence died. Frances and Cora died in 2000 and the land passed to Noel. Noel remembers that Gustav raised purebred Chester White hogs for years. The farm was a dairy farm for many years, and Frances was well-known for raising chickens-one year she raised, butchered and sold 1200! Currently, Noel’s daughter, Sharlene Osborn lives on this farm.
Submitted by Noel Ludwig with Keith Brown

Noel & Guynieth
1910 -2015 Vermeys /Bill and Corlie Kohnekamp
Corlie and Bill Kohnekamp have made this house their home since 1999. They have added siding and a steel roof, and replaced many windows to maintain this historic home.
The original parcel of land was 640 acres granted by the U.S. government to the Cedar Rapids and Missouri River Railroad Company in 1856. Franklin Teel purchased 40 acres in 1878 from the Iowa Railroad Land Company. Julius Babcock purchased some of this land in 1881. Ellson P. Smith purchased 10.42 acres in 1888. John S. Peffer purchased some of the land and sold two acres to the Maple Township Cemetery Association in 1887. In 1908, Julius and Martha Babcock sold this acreage to Fred and Margaret Dall and they built the house. After the death of Fred Dall in 1935, Margaret lived alone for a few years, eventually moving closer to her daughters living in Kansas City. The house and property were sold to Edward and Marianne (Petit) Vermeys in 1945 for $800. They had fifteen children: Vivian (Kemker), Fred, Don, Carole (Wascher), Eleanor (Sanders), Richard, Pat (Bathke), Randy, Ginny (Sido), Delores (Pierce), Doris (Madetske) (twins), Laurence, Glenda (Jonas), Suzie (Zeroth) and Lynne (Bjorholm). After Ed died in 1972, Marianne raised the younger children and worked as a custodian for the Presbyterian Church. The home went to Randy and Corlie Vermeys in 1986. The current owners are Bill and Corlie Kohnekamp.

Adolf and Augusta Dienst farmstead about 1920
Pictured with the horse teams: Alvina, Emma, Anna, Fred and Wilhelm Dienst
In 1884, Adolf Dienst purchased 160 acres in Section 34 of Garfield Township for $1232.00 from the Iowa Railroad Company. He married Augusta Engler in 1889 and they settled on this farm south of Battle Creek.
Adolf Dienst was born May 24, 1852 in Germany and came to the United States in 1881. Augusta Engler was born on August 24, 1864 near the German and French border and came to the United States in 1878. Adolf and Augusta had six children: Fred ‘Fritz’ (1889-1958), Wilhelm ‘Bill’ (1890-1974), Carl (1891-1918), Alvina (1895-1986), Anna (1898-1981), and Emma (1905-1993). During the flu epidemic of 1918, Carl and his mother Augusta both succumbed to the illness.
Alvina, the only sibling to wed, married George Groth on February 21, 1936. They lived on a farm just south of this farm in Crawford County. After Bill, Anna and Emma moved to Battle Creek about 1972, the land was rented to Matt and Leona Lorenzen and they lived on the farm. Alvina and George Groth had one child, Georgine in 1939. They moved to Battle Creek in 1947 and rented their land out. Georgine married Melvin ‘Pat’ Krayenhagen in 1958 and they had three children: Debra-1959 (Tom Uhl), Yvonne-1962 {Randy Colshan), and John-1980 (Tanjie Goodman). Tom and Debra Uhl purchased the farm from the Dienst Estate and lived there until 2012, moving into Schleswig at that time. The land is now farmed by Pat and John Krayenhagen and Tom Uhl has his cattle on the pasture area. The house and most of the buildings are still there.
Submitted by Georgine and Pat Krayenhagen with Dixie Brueck V V V V Below

1899 Neil and Lynne Bjorholm 203 Maple Street "The Inn at Battle Creek"
The Inn at Battle Creek, also known as The Warnock House
One of most elegant homes in Battle Creek is The Inn at Battle Creek, a Queen Anne Victorian and colonial revival style Bed & Breakfast located at 201 Maple Street. It was recently purchased by local residents Neil and Lynne (Vermeys) Bjorholm in June 2014. The Inn includes three dining rooms, a large entry foyer, kitchen, bathroom, back porch and a charming wrap around front porch on the main floor. There are four guest rooms, each with their own private bath, a maid’s room and laundry facilities on the second floor. The attic, with a tower room, is used for storage, and the large basement contains ovens for baking, dishwashing facilities and food storage..
The Warnock family was a prominent pioneer family in Battle Creek. Richard (1824-1884) and Frances (1823-1908) (Kennedy) Warnock were both born in Ireland and were married there in 1845. They came to the U.S. in 1846 and settled in Pittsburgh, PA. for eight years where they had three children, one of which died in infancy. They moved to Dubuque County in eastern Iowa and had six more children. They moved to Ida County in 1871 with their children, James, David, Frances ‘Frank’, Samuel, Lowry, Margaret, William and George and settled on a farm along the Maple River.
This home was built in 1899 by their son, Dr. Frances Warnock for his wife Helen ‘Nellie’ (Baxter) and daughter Lucille. George F. Barber, a prominent Victorian architect, was the designer. The builders were master carpenters, William and Thomas Bassett of Ida Grove, Iowa. The family relocated to Sioux City in 1901 and the home was sold to Frank’s brother, James Warnock, Sr. James was married to Margaretta ‘Rettie’ Spotts and they had three children, James, Jr., Katherine (Breckenridge) and Ella (Hoyer). In the late 1930’s, a Jahn family owned the Warnock house for a short time until 1941, when the house was purchased by Louie and Elsie Smith. In 1965, Elsie’s brother, Robert Stevenson ‘Steve’ Morrice bought the home and lived there until about 1980 when he entered a care center in Holstein. The house was vacant until 1987 when the Holstein Medical Clinic purchased the house for $6000. Under the direction of Dr. William and Heidi (Sheller) Bender who worked closely with the State Bureau of Restoration in Des Moines, the home was restored to it’s original grandeur, modified for a Bed & Breakfast business and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1993, Rod and Nancy Pearson purchased the business and became Innkeepers, with Jeffrey and Nancy Decker buying the business in 2001. The Decker’s reshingled the house and painted the exterior in 2011, using unique colors of gothic rose, sage green and antique ivory to highlight the Victorian accents. After the death of Rod Pearson in 2012, this historic home was purchased by the Bjorholm's. They live close by and have four grown children and three grandchildren.
submitted by Neil and Lynne Bjorhom with Dixie Brueck V V V V V BELOW


Hazel and Louis B. Bertelsen family with
Elmer (standing) Wendell, Louis, Jr. and Norman (photo taken about 1930)
Jens Benjamin Bertelsen and his wife, Augusta purchased 160 acres of land in sections 6 and 7 of Maple Township north of Battle Creek from Peter Matzen in 1903 for $25 per acre. In 1910, he sold four tenths of an acre to Ida County for a country school. The school was known as the Bertelsen or Jordan school. It was later purchased back in 1957 as country schools were being closed. They sold the farm to their son, Louis B. and his wife Hazel (Twogood) Bertelsen in 1928 for $24 per acre. They had four sons: Elmer, Norman, Wendell and Louis, Jr. The farm was then sold to their son, Louis, Jr. and wife Loraine (Godbersen) Bertelsen in 1973. Louie B. Bertelsen passed away in April 1974 and unfortunately his son, Louis Jr. died three months later on July 15, 1974.
The farm was then owned by Loraine Bertelsen. After Loraine moved into Battle Creek and married Albert Dose, Jay and Peggy (Bertelsen)Eason and their family lived on the farm. A fire on December 31, 1984 destroyed the house and all their possessions.
After Loraine’s death in 2005, the old buildings were dismantled leaving the farmstead ground as pasture with only the windbreak left standing. The farm passed on to Loraine’s daughters, Connie Jacobsen, Peggy Swanson and Brenda Brown. Brian and Brenda Brown then purchased the shares from Peggy in 2007 and Connie in 2011 and are the current owners. Brenda is a physical therapist assistant in Mapleton and Brian is a high school math teacher and coach at the Maple Valley-Anthon Oto Schools. They have three children and two grandchildren.
Submitted by Brenda and Brian Brown with Keith Brown
1879-2015 Lake/Wilcke Farm Wendell and Jean Wilcke, Jon and Deb Wilcke
Woodbury County, Morgan Township 15
The Lake/Wilcke Farm about 1965
When Jon and Deb Wilcke moved onto the Lake/Wilcke family Century Farm west of Battle Creek in 1993, they
continued the family farming tradition that began in 1879. They now own the 80 acres that include the house and
building site.
Arriving from Rockton, Illinois by covered wagon in 1879, Joel B. Lake purchased 160 acres from the Iowa Land
and Railroad Company. He constructed a sod house for his wife Amanda and their three children, and later erected
a three room house. In about 1910, a two story house was built with three bedrooms, kitchen, dining and living
room and one bathroom.
In 1930, a 32 volt generator and a system of storage batteries was installed in the house for the first electricity to
the farm. In 1935, the Rural Electritrification Act, a part of the New Deal to create jobs, was signed by President
Franklin D. Roosevelt and lines were installed by the farm so the house and entire farmstead were hooked up.
Upon the death of Joel and Amanda, the farm passed to their children, Elmer, Lorton and Esther. The boys bought
out their sister’s share. Lorton and his wife, Ruth lived on the farm and had twin daughters, Jean and Joan. Ruth
passed away in 1933 and her twin sister Ruby, who was married to Lorton’s brother Elmer, moved to the farm to
help care for the girls. After Lorton’s death in 1940, the farm was left to the girls and Elmer and Ruby. Joan was
only 16 in 1948 when she passed away.
In 1951, Jean was united in marriage to Wendell Wilcke and they moved onto the home farm to begin farming.
They had four children: Susan, Sandy, Jon and Julie. The old house was remodeled in 1961 with a new kitchen,
and a bathroom and additional bedroom added. In 1969, a tornado demolished 11 buildings and structurally
damaged the house. By 1975, a new house was built. Ruby and Elmer died in 1977 and their share of the farm
was left to Jean and Wendell. In 1993, Wendell and Jean moved into Battle Creek and continue to enjoy life with
seven grandchildren, one great grandchild and one on the way. The farm has changed immensely in 135 years. The
tornado had its day, but daughter Susan rode out the storm safely in the basement, by the grace of God.
The Wilcke home in Battle Creek was built by Martin and Lucia Martens in 1914. The Bungalow style home with
four hip roof dormers, has been owned by Fred Brodersen, Katherine Hitchings, Charles and Emma Burow (1929),
Russell and Hazel Goodenow (1951) and Paul and Dorothy Mc Vinua (1982). The Goodenows put in an upstairs
apartment with a private stairwell off the back porch. The Wilcke’s have reclaimed the apartment, removed the
chimney and private stairwell and remodeled the kitchen.
Submitted by Jean and Wendell Wilcke with Dixie Brueck

1879-2015 Lake/Wilcke Farm Wendell and Jean Wilcke, Jon and Deb Wilcke
Woodbury County, Morgan Township 15
The Lake/Wilcke Farm about 1965
When Jon and Deb Wilcke moved onto the Lake/Wilcke family Century Farm west of Battle Creek in 1993, they
continued the family farming tradition that began in 1879. They now own the 80 acres that include the house and
building site.
Arriving from Rockton, Illinois by covered wagon in 1879, Joel B. Lake purchased 160 acres from the Iowa Land
and Railroad Company. He constructed a sod house for his wife Amanda and their three children, and later erected
a three room house. In about 1910, a two story house was built with three bedrooms, kitchen, dining and living
room and one bathroom.
In 1930, a 32 volt generator and a system of storage batteries was installed in the house for the first electricity to
the farm. In 1935, the Rural Electritrification Act, a part of the New Deal to create jobs, was signed by President
Franklin D. Roosevelt and lines were installed by the farm so the house and entire farmstead were hooked up.
Upon the death of Joel and Amanda, the farm passed to their children, Elmer, Lorton and Esther. The boys bought
out their sister’s share. Lorton and his wife, Ruth lived on the farm and had twin daughters, Jean and Joan. Ruth
passed away in 1933 and her twin sister Ruby, who was married to Lorton’s brother Elmer, moved to the farm to
help care for the girls. After Lorton’s death in 1940, the farm was left to the girls and Elmer and Ruby. Joan was
only 16 in 1948 when she passed away.
In 1951, Jean was united in marriage to Wendell Wilcke and they moved onto the home farm to begin farming.
They had four children: Susan, Sandy, Jon and Julie. The old house was remodeled in 1961 with a new kitchen,
and a bathroom and additional bedroom added. In 1969, a tornado demolished 11 buildings and structurally
damaged the house. By 1975, a new house was built. Ruby and Elmer died in 1977 and their share of the farm
was left to Jean and Wendell. In 1993, Wendell and Jean moved into Battle Creek and continue to enjoy life with
seven grandchildren, one great grandchild and one on the way. The farm has changed immensely in 135 years. The
tornado had its day, but daughter Susan rode out the storm safely in the basement, by the grace of God.
The Wilcke home in Battle Creek was built by Martin and Lucia Martens in 1914. The Bungalow style home with
four hip roof dormers, has been owned by Fred Brodersen, Katherine Hitchings, Charles and Emma Burow (1929),
Russell and Hazel Goodenow (1951) and Paul and Dorothy Mc Vinua (1982). The Goodenows put in an upstairs
apartment with a private stairwell off the back porch. The Wilcke’s have reclaimed the apartment, removed the
chimney and private stairwell and remodeled the kitchen.
Submitted by Jean and Wendell Wilcke with Dixie Brueck
1881 Arlene Mildenstein 307 Maple Street
This house became the home of Elvin and Arlene Mildenstein in 1959. They purchased the house from Ed and Hilda Reimer who had owned the house since 1955. Elvin and Arlene raised their son and daughter here and always had a huge garden in the back yard. A cool and serene beauty spot in the back yard for many years was a fish pond, with free fish given to the school children every fall when the pond was winterized. After Elvin died in 1996, Arlene has continued to enjoy the location close to her church, St. John's Lutheran Church, and situated between the Alumni Park playground and Annie Laurie Park.
The lot was originally sold by the Iowa Railroad Company to Amos McPherson in 1881 for $125. Amos and his wife Eliza most likely built this house after purchasing the lot. They sold the house and lot to J. L. Riedesel in 1885 for $1550. Other owners include William and Ida Crane (1909), Emma Goin and daughters Grace (Hofmeister) and Lucille (Henderson) in 1914, Caroline and Frank Peffer in 1941, and Roy and Mary King in 1952. The two story home maintains a charming front porch with a front door facing east to the street, a sunny bay window on the south side, and a modern double car garage on the west side.
submitted by Arlene MIldenstein with Dixie Brueck

1913-2015 Albers/Dausel Farm: Colleen and Keith Brown, Laurel and Doug Nailor
Ida County, Battle 31
Four generations: Martha Petersen, Elaine Dausel, Laura Albers
and little granddaughters Colleen and Laurel Dausel
Bernhard and Martha Petersen, great grandparents of Colleen (Dausel) Brown and Laurel (Dausel) Nailor, purchased the farm from A. H. Leonard on February 25, 1911 for $125.00 per acre. After that, it remained on the maternal side of the family. In 1920, Bernhard sold it to his daughter and son-in-law Dietrich and Laura Albers. Dietrich Albers had grown up on the adjacent farm to the west in Woodbury County. It then went to their daughter and husband, Elaine (Albers) and Harlan Dausel in 1970. They had six children: Dennis, Colleen, Merle, Douglas, Laurel and Byron. Their daughters, Colleen and Keith Brown, and Laurel and Doug Nailor, then purchased the farm from the family in 2006. The farm is located on the Ida County line in Battle Township, section 11.
As with many farmsteads today, the buildings that were once useful in the past have been dismantled. There is no longer a need for barns for hand milking of cows and shielding work horses or cattle and baby calves from the harsh winter winds, sheds holding laying hens and housing sows with baby pigs, and corn cribs full of ear corn. Today, large machinery sheds house the combines, grain trailers, planters and tractors and shiny silver grain bins hold the golden corn or beans until they are sold. Change slowly continues to unfold all around us, even when we don’t realize it.
Submitted by Colleen and Keith Brown and Laurel and Doug Nailor

1898 - 2015 Albers Farm: Marc and Cindy Albers, Josh and Dana Albers
Woodbury County, Rock Township, Section 36
The Albers Century Farm about 1951.
In the photo, Art is on the tractor in the cattle yard, with Gertrude
and her children, Roger, Marilyn and Marc in the houseyard.
Josh and Dana (Johannsen) Albers and their four children, Jaeden, Brooklynn, McKenna and Benjamin are the sixth generation on the Albers Century Farm. They currently farm and own 160 acres growing corn and beans and raising cattle.
The Albers family first came to the United States in 1897 when Dietrich Albers, his wife Anna and their two children came from Hanover, Germany. They were both born in 1834. They settled on a farm just west of the Midway settlement and ten miles Northwest of Battle Creek.
Their son, Henry, married Marguerite Brodersen and in 1898, they purchased a farm of 320 acres for $30 per acre from Alice Pierce, who had bought it from the Railroad in 1884. The farm is in Woodbury County on the Ida County line.
In 1938, the farm passed on to their son, Dietrich (Dick) and his wife, Laura (Petersen) Albers. Laura had grown up on the adjacent farm in Battle Township, section 31.
The farm then went to their son, Art and Gertrude (Butcher) Albers in 1966. They had three children: Roger, Marilyn and Marc. The farm then went to Marc and wife Cindy (Segebart) Albers in 1977. Marc and Cindy have five children: Stephanie Mohrhauser, Tracy Miller, Ryan (Jennifer) Albers, Josh (Dana) Albers and Raelynn (Lenny Tucker). They have 9 grandchildren and continue to enjoy life on their family farm.
Submitted by Marc and Cindy Albers with Keith Brown

Todd and Traci Riessen and their family purchased this home in 2002. They have enclosed the front porch, added a two car garage, an outdoor patio, created interesting landscaping, and painted the exterior with colors of ivory, winter green and burgundy to highlight the interesting details of this ‘Captain’s Bungalow’ house.
The home was built in 1914 in by A. N. and J. L. Riedesel for the Robert and Anna Mc Comb family who had immigrated from Ireland and had two children, George and Mary. The home, built with oak woodwork, contains four bedrooms on the second floor, a kitchen, dining and living room, office and bath room on the main floor and a full basement. The walk up attic has been remodeled into two bedrooms and a full bath. Robert’s half sister, Maggie Mc Comb came to Battle Creek to help with Robert’s family and probably never saw her three sisters or mother after they returned to Ireland. Maggie married the widower, Fred Dall and they had two daughters, Florence and Helen. Robert’s daughter, Mary Mc Comb, the town librarian, lived in the home until 1966 when Viggo and Minnie Brock purchased the home. There are stories that the upstairs may have been used as a medical clinic or hospital until the Hartley Memorial Hospital was built in 1937. In 1975, Win and Arnelda Schramm were the owners and they sold it to Larry and Machael Markert in 1979. Dan and Pam Lorenzen purchased the home in 1990 and sold it to the current owners in 2002.

1897-2015 Bower Farm, Ken and Bev Bower, Janice and Steve Lorenzen with Brent and Jennifer Bower
Ida County, Garfield 31
pictured: Brent and Jennifer Bower, Bev and Kenny Bower with Gladys Bower
Thomas Bower, an Englishman, came to America in 1850. He then moved to eastern Iowa and bought land around Low Moor and Lyon. His son, John Bower, great grandfather of Kenny Bower, was born May 1, 1859 in Low Moor. He married Louise Larson, who was born in Stockholm, Sweden on February 12, 1861. After their marriage, they moved west to buy railroad land around Battle Creek. Their first son, Andrew married Anna Treiber and they had one child, Jay T. Bower.
Kenny’s other grandparents were Adam Treiber who was born in 1849 in Stadelhofen, Germany and his wife Bertha who was born in 1853 in Fritzlar, Germany. Adam came by steamship to New York in 1870. He worked for four years in New York and met his wife in the rooming house where they both stayed. They were married in 1874. In 1877, they had saved $1100 and decided to go west by train. They ended up in Danbury where he bought land. They had eleven children, one of whom was Anna who married Andy Bower.
Adam bought a 120 acre farm in section 31 of Garfield Township for $6720 in 1897. They sold it to their daughter Annie and husband Andy Bower for $1 and a $6000 note in 1918. It then passed on to their son Jay and wife Gladys (Still ) Bower. It is now owned by Kenneth and wife Beverly (Wallace) Bower and his sister Janice Lorenzen. It is currently farmed by and will pass on to Brent and Jennifer (Bremer) Bower.
Submitted by Kenny and Bev Bower with Keith Brown

1912-2015 Corey and Sarah Tarr 701 3rd Street
This home was purchased in 1999 by Corey and Sarah (Wallace) Tarr. It was built in 1912 by Ellery and Mary Hood.
The Hood’s sold the house to Jacob and Jessie Spotts in 1914; Laura Foster purchased the home in 1934 and sold it to Peter and Mary (Behn) Schmidt in 1937. They enjoyed the home for many years, and after their deaths, James Marshall owned it for a short time, selling it to Donald and Marilyn Woolridge in 1960. In 1968, Clyde and Pearl Wallace owned the home until 1999, selling it to the current owners, their granddaughter and family, Corey and Sarah Tarr and their children, Nathaniel and Natalie. They have painted the house a landscape tan color with antique ivory and colonial blue accents to maintain a very attractive appearance on this spacious lot.
The home includes a recently remodeled kitchen, dining and living room, full bath, back porch and front entry room on the main floor with beautiful oak woodwork and a pair of French doors. There are three bedrooms on the second floor, with an attic for storage and a full basement. A double car garage was built in recent years. The architectural details include a fishscale pattern below the roof line, two stained glass bay windows on the main floor, and oriel windows on the second floor.
Submitted by Corey and Sarah Tarr with Dixie Brueck

1872 - 2015 Campbell Farm /Ed Campbell and Kathy Shell Ida County, Maple 23
Ed A. Campbell on free sweet corn delivery day, August 2013 (photo by Kevin Freese)
Romeo Campbell (1844-1900) came to Maple Township in 1868 from Taylor County in Illinois. He squatted on land northeast of Battle Creek for four years and broke the prairie with a team of oxen. He married Hattie Powell (1855-1926) in 1873 and they had seven children, two of which were childhood deaths in 1879, Beryl and Bee. When the railroad obtained the land from the state of Iowa, the Campbell’s purchased 360 acres for around $4.25 per acre. It was one of the earliest farms in Maple Township. Early tax records show that the property tax at that time was a total of $3.20 on the farm.
The land then passed on to their children: Byrdenna -1879-1960 (Edwin Peffer), twins Jed -1882-1963 (Mary B.) and Ed Hoyt -1882-1969 (Mary Marshall), Frank -1885-1974 (Cecile) and Powell -1890-1961(Arvine). Ed was admitted to the Iowa Bar in 1906, and served as mayor of Battle Creek from 1908-1911. Ed and Jed relinquished their share of the farm to raise money for Ed to successfully run for the Iowa Legislature, House of Representatives. He won on the Republican ticket, serving from 1911-1913. He then served in the US Army during World War I and upon returning home, was elected to the Iowa Senate, 1920-1928, where he was president for six years. He then served in the U. S. Congress for the Seventy-first and Seventy-second Congresses, 1929-1933. Ed and Jed were longtime lawyers in Battle Creek.
The next generation of family to own the land included Virginia Johnson and Reggie Hall. Ed Hoyt Campbell’s grandchildren, Ed A. Campbell and Kathy Campbell Shell purchased the land from other family members in 1982 and currently own part of the original farm. Ed is well known in the Battle Creek area for raising sweet corn and providing it to the community for free.
Ed's home in Battle Creek is a century home, having been built 1915. It has been in the Campbell family most of those years. He has updated the heating and cooling system and added a new roof in recent years.
Submitted by Ed A. Campbell with Keith Brown

1905-2015 Reimer/Nielsen Farm, Einar Nielsen Ida County, Garfield 36
Einar and Lucia Nielsen farm about 1975
Einar and Lucia (Reimer) Nielsen and their family moved to the home farm in 1955 after losing their house in a fire. They had been living on a farm a mile north of this Reimer family century farm.
In 1883, at the age of 10, John Reimer (1873-1952) came to the United States from Germany. He traveled by train to western Iowa to live with an older sister on a farm somewhere between Battle Creek and Schleswig. In 1901, he married Matilda Nielsen (1881-1955) and in 1905, they purchased this farm from the railroad out of Ricketts. They had one son, Edward (1902-1986). In 1920, John and Matilda moved into Battle Creek so Ed and his wife Hilda (Martens) (1903-1990) could live on the farm. They had one daughter, Lucia (1928-2006). She was married to Einar Nielsen in 1948 and they had three children: Roger (Joan Stocks), Randy (Cindy Bartels) and Kay Ann (Brian Hazelton). Kay Ann died in 1987.
The farmstead expanded through the years with new sheds and hay storage as Einar raised a lot of cattle and hogs. Lucia raised chickens and tended a large garden. The house was remodeled and enlarged to allow space for their family gatherings. Lucia died in 2006 but Einar, at age 92, still enjoys life on the farm, with help from his sons, Roger and Randy. Einar has 5 grandsons, 11 great grandchildren and one great-great grandchild.
Submitted by Einar Nielsen with Roger Nielsen


1911-2015 David and Patricia Winterrowd 703 3rd Street ^^^^^^ABOVE
David and Patricia Winterrowd purchased this gracious Queen Anne style house in 2003 for their family, Anna, Gabe and Abby. They have spent several years restoring both the interior and exterior. They have used the exterior colors of white velvet and templeton gray with accents of royal burgundy to highlight the turret tower, the many windows and decorative railing around and above the wide front veranda.
In 1911, Oliver and Fannie Spotts purchased two lots from Ellery Hood for $1000, on which they built this large home. Mr. Spotts was said to own the lumber yard at the time of construction. The property remained in the Spotts family until 1960, when Fannie Spotts passed away. Her grandson, Terry Arney received the property in her will. He sold the property in 1961 to Harold and Ione Petersen. When the Petersen’s moved away, the house was sold several times, with owners Michael and Janet Mickelson, Janet and Dennis Lindgren, Suzanna Loehr, Roger and Carol Schmidt (The Schmidt’s were caretakers for Carl Schumann in his final years) and Jan Kakolewski.
On the main floor, the home contains a large entry foyer, kitchen, dining room, full bath and an afternoon and evening parlor with a fireplace. Upstairs there are five bedrooms and two bathrooms with a stairwell leading to the third floor that was used as a ballroom during the early years. A recessed porch on the north side of the third floor allowed guests to step outside for a breath of air. A door that opened from the second floor to the sun porch above the veranda was probably removed by one of the more recent owners.
The fascinating architectural details for the home include Ionic Order columns, oriel windows, four ox eye windows on the third floor, leaded glass windows, dentils under the eaves, projecting dormers, and a turret with a conical roof.
Submitted by David and Patricia Winterrowd with Keith Brown

1900 Edee Hansen home 501 Willow Street and 1898 Hansen Farm Maple 9
This house became the home of Winston (1916-1998) and Edna (Sands) ‘Edee’ Hansen in 1949. William P. ‘Bill’ (1886-1987) and Mabel S. Pedersen (1889-1945) Hansen, Winston’s father, purchased the home after Mabel’s death, so Bill and son Don could live with family. Bill and Mabel had two sons, Winston and Donald. Winston and Edna had two children, Corliss (Hansen) Wheeler and Winston ‘Chuck’ Hansen. Edee has three grandchildren and 7 great grandchildren.
The Iowa Railroad Company owned this land in 1894 and sold it to the Battle Creek Land and Improvement Company. Otto H. Rickman (1859-1925) and his wife Anna K. (1965-1948) purchased this lot in 1899 and built the house. They had three children: Elmer (Nola Leonard), Mabel (1889-1980) and Carl (Lucille). Mabel never married and continued to live and care for her mother until her mother’s death. After Anna died, Mabel moved into the upstairs of Mary McComb’s house, now owned by Todd and Traci Riessen, selling this house to Bill Hansen in 1949. The two story home had a front porch to the east that was enclosed about 1975, and a back porch entry that was added on many years after the house was built. There is one bedroom on the main floor and four bedrooms and a bath that Bill and Winston added on the second floor before they moved into the house, the day before Thanksgiving in 1949. A new asphalt roof and a fresh coat of paint in recent years has kept the home in excellent condition. Edee, at age 98, continues to enjoy life with assistance from her daughter Corliss.
In May 1856, an Act of Congress transferred the land in Maple Township, section 9 to the State of Iowa. An act of the 18th General Assembly of Iowa sold the land to the Cedar Rapids & Missouri River Railroad Company who in turn sold it to the Iowa Railroad Land Company in 1869. They sold it to Willah M. Stoddard in 1882. It was considered to be sold under a ‘cloud’ as the railroad continued to reserve the right of way in case they or any of their branches wanted to build a railroad through the land. Following Mr. Stoddard’s death, H. C. Jordan, guardian for Mrs. Stoddard, was ordered by the court to sell the real estate as needed to care for her. He sold it to R. B. Weaver in 1892. Six years later, in 1898, Weaver sold the land to John and Mette Kathrine Hansen, immigrants from Denmark who had arrived in 1881 and rented some of this land, making it 117 years that these 160 acres have taken care of John Hansen’s family.
Submitted by Corliss (Hansen) Wheeler with Dixie Brueck
1903 - 2015 Riessen Farms Ida County, Garfield 26, Grant 19, Garfield 23
Bryce and Cody Riessen farm-2013
When Bryce Riessen purchased the Riessen home farm in Garfield 26 in 2005, he continued the family farming tradition begun by Claus Ludwig Ehler in 1903. He and Cody (Linden) Riessen were married in 2005 and are parents to Benjamin, Dustin and Kellie.
Claus Ludwig Ehler (1862-1931) was born on the island of Fehmarn, Schleswig-Holstein Germany. He studied to become a teacher before leaving Germany. He came to America in 1883, part of the great migration during this time, first settling in Jackson County for 18 months before coming to Ida County. He married Agnes Greenwaldt (1868-1941) in 1889 and they had four children: Henry (never married), Rosa (Albert Riessen), Emma (never married) and Martin (Alma Cohrt ). Ludwig purchased the first parcel of 160 acres in Garfield township, section 26 in 1903. This is the Riessen home place.
Rosa Ehler (1892-1931)married Albert Riessen (1891-1936) in 1913 and they had three children: Rosetta ( John Abbe), Walter(Fern Hansen) and Al Wayne. Al Wayne (1926-2009) and Betty (Albrecht) Riessen (1926-2012) had six children: Wayne (Janene Andresen), Jeanne (Daryl Miller), Richard (Theresa Boysen), Lorelei (Darwin Rohlk), Marilee (Marc Lansink) and LaRayne (Jerry Miller). Wayne and Janene have three sons: Brian, Brent and Bryce. All three are involved in farming. In 2013, Trey Riessen, son of Brian and Kari Riessen, began farming some of this land to become the sixth generation of the family to farm.
The second century farm purchased by Ludwig Ehler in 1910 was 340 acres in Grant township, section 19. The progression of owners include Henry Ehler (1890-1982), Al Wayne Riessen, then Jeanne Miller, LaRayne Miller, Marilee Lansink and Richard Riessen and currently Jeanne Miller, LaRayne Miller and Richard Riessen.
The third century farm purchased by Ludwig Ehler in 1913 is in Garfield township, section 23. The progression of owners include Albert Riessen, Rosetta (Riessen) Abbe, and currently Wayne Riessen, Jeanne Miller, Richard Riessen, Lorelei Rohlk, Marilee Lansink and LaRayne Miller.
Even as the farm ownership continues down through the family, the fertile land remains a productive asset. The history of the land is a testament to those early pioneers who broke the prairie with a yoke of oxen and a plow. Corncribs, chicken houses and small cattle or hog barns are disappearing from the landscape, replaced by silver grain bins, confinement operations and huge machine sheds.
Submitted by Wayne & Janene Riessen, Brian& Kari Riessen and Bryce & Cody Riessen with Dixie Brueck


This house became the home of Roger and Chandra (Schultz) Bender and their children, Abby, Trevor and Hailey in 2005. They have painted the house in dusty rose with deep maroon and ivory accents. They recently replaced the sidewalks on the south and east sides. The home was built by J. A. Keenan in 1907 after he purchased the lot from the Battle Creek Land and Improvement Company. Former owners have included (1909) John and Lillian Christensen for an amazing 72 years, (1982) Richard and Joyce Madsen and (2000) Kelly and Joan Verschoor.
On the main floor, the home includes a kitchen, dining and living room, foyer and open staircase, a half bath with a deck on the west side and a porch on the east side. On the second floor are three bedrooms and a full bath, with an attic for storage and a full basement.
The architectural details of this simplified ‘Shingle Style’ home include south and east bay windows on the main floor, Tuscan Order columns on the porch, a conical roof over the southeast part of the porch with a decorative finial and a New England Gambrel roof with fish scales below the roof. The corner lot allows adequate space for fruit trees and a garden with a double car garage near the alley on the west side.
Submitted by Roger and Chandra Bender with Dixie Brueck
1875 Foster Family Farm, Mary Jensen Ida County, Garfield 17
Foster Family Farm Home - 2000
Edwin and Mary (Foster) Jensen moved next to this farm in 1952, building a new home to the east of the original set of buildings. Her parents, Lois and Charles Foster lived in the house pictured above. Ed and Mary have four children: Jane (Ed Zehm), Jerry (Karen Niemeier), Jan Susan (Marc Olson) and Sandra (Troy Hanson), 8 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. Ed died in 2000, and Mary continues to enjoy country life.
In 1875 brothers WillIam (1851-1904) and Charles Foster of Buda, Illinois read an advertisement of land for sale by the railroad in western Iowa. They came by train to Denison and purchased the land in 1876. Charles went to Nebraska in the 1890's. William returned to Buda and married Martha Hartley (1858-1922.) They had six children: George Hartley Foster (Laura Spotts), Albert Lewis Foster (Ella Merle Dawkins), Edith (Leo Downham), Frank Foster (Emily Churchill), Charles, Jr. (Lois Peffer), and Ethel (Art Marshall). They later built the large "box" house still on the property and used by the family. They moved into this house while the plaster was still wet for fear the Indians would steal baby Ethel. The barn was built in 1910 by Frank Foster and an upright silo built soon after by Frank and his hired hand.
George and Laura and later Albert homesteaded in North Dakota. Albert returned to Battle Creek in 1922 after his Mother's death, married Merle and they had two children: Benita (Richard Carlson) and Ruth (Pete Shubin). Edith and Leo Downham had no children. Frank and Emily had three sons: Vinton, Ellard and Charles. Charles, Jr. (1888-1971) and Lois (1908-1999) bought the farm west of the cemetery, let it go during the depression years and moved to the old home place which had been rented out. They had seven children: Mary Jane (Edwin Jensen), Edyth (Dean Wooten), Charles (Dorothy Good), William (never married), Merlie (Jim Kalsem), James (Helen Hosek), and Carol (Rollie Biegler). Ethel and Arthur Marshall had one daughter, Arlene (Herb Dykers).
After William died in 1904, Martha allowed Frank and family to live on the home place until he moved to South Dakota in 1914. Martha bought the farm on the hill where the water tower is located so the two youngest children could attend high school.
The Foster family century farm is currently owned by the six living children of Charles and Lois Foster.
Submitted by Mary Jensen with Dixie Brueck

1909 Robbie and Heather Pope 601 3rd Street
Robbie and Heather Pope purchased this home in 2013 from Mark and Melissa Augsburger. They have remodeled the kitchen and living areas to accommodate their family of three small children.
The lot was first owned by V. W. and Sultana Sylvester, who purchased the land from the railroad and probably built a small house on the lot. They sold it to a Mr. Munson, who sold it in 1906 to S. C. Moller who built the current house in 1909. The charming veranda originally had a conical roof on the east side with a decorative finial. Many hours of neighborly visiting occurred on the veranda before central air-conditioning was available! In 1919, Jens and Christina Iversen purchased the large home for their family of seven children: Helene (Fred Christiansen), Harry, twins Iver and unnamed infant, both infant deaths, Anne (Thorvald Mortensen) Alvin (Lena Van Houten) and Ida (never married). In 1938, John and Mildred Christensen bought the home and converted it into a funeral home while they lived on the upper floor. A three car garage was added about 1950. In 1974, Robert and Norma Patterson purchased the business and home. Bob and Norma moved to Ida Grove around 1978. About 1980, Ida Iversen, a retired teacher, returned to her childhood home in Battle Creek as a hostess for the funeral home. In 1993, Dan and Donna Ciha were the owners and in 2002 Scott and Connie Hoffman were owners. They hired Karen Krayenhagen to be their hostess. They sold this house after building a new funeral home on the old school block. In 2010, Beryl and Julie Renouf owned the home for a short time, selling to the Augsburger family in 2012. Submitted by Heather Pope with Dixie Brueck

1900 Jared and Lauren Schmidt 603 3rd Street
When Jared and Lauren Schmidt and their children, Hannah and Sawyer, decided to return to Ida County in 2013, they knew they wanted a house with character. They purchased this home and renovated it for their needs, restoring the oak floors, remodeling the kitchen and bathrooms, and refinishing the attic for bedrooms and storage. The home, close to the Presbyterian Church, Annie Laurie Park and downtown, includes a spacious veranda to enjoy on warm days.
In 1881, The Blair Town Lot and Land Company purchased several lots from the Iowa Railroad Company. Early individual owners of this lot included T.O. and Adeline Manning, Ellen Bryans, and V.W. Sylvester. Sylvester built this house and the house just east of this house in 1900. He sold the house and probably a couple of lots to Peter Behn, Sr. in 1908 for $5300. After Peter’s death in 1931, the six children inherited the house: Fred and Christina Behn, Frank and Hattie Behn, Mary and Peter Schmidt, Amelia and Bill Hendricks and Jens Behn. They sold the house during the depression years to Lulu Wait, then on to Henry Schropfroth in 1935 and Tena Putzier in 1938. She did improvements and sold the house to Chester and Lulu Fouts in 1944 for $3450. After Chester and Lulu died, their children owned the house and it probably became a rental property.
In 1970, Lyle and Roberta Clayton purchased the home for $8000. They added an attached two car garage, a steel roof, and replaced the wood in the veranda with composite decking. They raised their five daughters, Kathy, Karen, Nancy, twins Brenda and Belinda, and enjoyed the home until Lyle’s death in 2013. Many older homes such as this become so decrepit that they are nearly beyond costly repairs and then are dismantled and become only a memory.

1882 Brown Farm, Keith and Colleen Brown Ida County, Garfield 22
Brown family Century Farm about 1975
Mathias Brown, a native of Baden, Germany, came to the U. S. in 1867 at the age of 19. He was a cabinet maker by trade and came to Battle Creek in 1882 from Sterling, Illinois to buy land from the railroad. He and his brother Andrew came to Carroll by rail which was as far as the train came at that time. They came to Battle Creek by wagon to purchase the land. They each bought 160 acres from the Iowa Central Railroad at $8.00 per acre. Mathias and his wife and family moved here in 1884 when they could come all the way to Battle Creek by train. They had three sons, Matt, Andy and Otto and three daughters, Tillie, Hattie and Ollie. They lived in Battle Creek several months until they could haul lumber and build living quarters on their land. They farmed here until 1911 when they moved to Sioux City and built their home there.
The land which they purchased in Section 22 of Garfield Township in the early days is still owned by the Brown family. The buildings and land were rebuilt, improved and farmed by his grandson, Murl Brown and wife Lenora after they were married in 1935. Murl was a grain farmer and cattle feeder and served on the Ida County Board of Review for 25 years. Lenora’s grandfather, Gottlieb Lehmann was one of the earliest settlers in Plymouth County near Merrill in 1871. Murl’s mother, Nellie Manson was born just across the section from the Brown farm.
Murl sold one of the quarters to Ida County in 1973 and it is now a large part of the Crawford Creek Park south of Battle Creek. The farm is currently owned and operated by their son Keith Brown and his wife Colleen and their sons Brian, Brad and Brent. Keith, in addition to farming, was also a teacher and coach for 30 years in the Battle Creek Community Schools. Keith and Colleen have 9 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren.
Submitted by Keith Brown

1913 Schrader Farm, Joel Leenaars Ida County, Garfield 34
Joel Leenaars farm about 1980 (rented by David Segebart at that time)
This farm in Section 34 in Garfield Township was platted in the early 1880’s. Owned by the Iowa Railroad and Land Company, it was first sold in 1884 to W. F. Wahl. He sold the land to the Strate family in 1893. The house was built by this family and is still in use. The third owner arriving by train from Hamburg, Germany, was William Schrader, Sr. (1856-1943) and his wife Anna Manson Schrader (1859-1936). William and Anna purchased this farm in 1913 and over the years, added several other farms in the area to their farming operation. They had five children: John -1887-1975; Emma (Charles Brueck) -1889-1993; William, Jr. (Irma Tollufsen)-1890-1973; Louis -1893-1977, and Anna (Leenaars, James) 1898-1997. The next owner was daughter Emma Schrader Brueck. Emma and Charles Brueck homesteaded land in South Dakota and after a few years, returned to Battle Creek, Iowa. After the death of her husband in 1930 from the Spanish flu, she moved to Battle Creek, Michigan and was employed as an executive housekeeper for one of the Kellogg families of breakfast cereal fame. Later, she and her sister Anna owned and operated a chocolate and grocery store there, retiring at the age of 88. In 1991, she went to live with her nephew, Joel Leenaars, in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida until her death at age 104 in 1993. The land then passed to the current owner, a grandson of William and Anna Schrader, Joel Schrader Leenaars in 1994. The land is currently rented to Bruce Paulsen and neighbors Einar and Randy Nielsen look after the farmstead. Owner Joel Leenaars is a retired teacher and has one sister Lois James. He enjoys spending summers at the farm, while spending winters in Florida.
Submitted by Joel Schrader Leenaars with Dixie Brueck

1900 Diana Woebke 404 Clara Street
The lot this home sits on was first purchased from the Iowa Railraod and Land Company by J. A. Keenan in April 1889. The railroad depot was located just north of the lot on the north side of the tracks. Water tanks next to the depot were used to fill the steam engine reservoirs. Jens Behn owned lots south and east of this home and these became the local stock yards; holding pens for cattle, hogs and sheep to be shipped by rail to the packing plants in Chicago.
The first dwelling mentioned in the abstract was in May 1902 when S. A. ‘Fritz’ and Wilhelmina Berndt purchased the property from Carl and Mary B. Leopold. Leopold probably built the house around 1900. John Schultz purchased the house in 1935 and sold it to William ‘Willie’ Schultz. Theodore ‘Ted’ and Martha Nielsen purchased the home in 1947 and enjoyed it until 1957 when they sold it to Bill and VaLaura Tarr. In June 1973, Diana (Tarr) and Larry Woebke purchased the home. The home is currently owned by Diana Woebke. She has added a patio on the east side and a deck to the north side, and added siding and a nice roof over the front entrance. She has two children, Christopher and Stacy (Ron) Witter and one grand daughter, Deandra Woebke. Diana has really never ‘left home’!

1883 Swanger Farm, Rick and Deb Swanger Woodbury County, Morgan Township 24 & 25
The original Swanger Century Farm home about 1885.
The century farm belonging to Rick Swanger and Nicole (Swanger)Beiber was purchased in March 1883 by Peter Behn, Sr. (1849-1933) The original farm is located in Section 24 and 25 of Morgan Township in Woodbury County. The 250 acre farm was purchased from Henning Schmidt at a cost of $3,100, or about $12.40 per acre. The original house remains but has been remodeled and expanded through the years. The progression of family owners continued with Fred (1887-1968) and Christina (Kiertzner) Behn (1888-1985) and their four children: Arlo (Nellie Virtue), Margaret (Clarence Rogers), Elaine (Lowell Swanger) and Fred, Jr. ‘Buss’ (Bette ‘Bets’). The next owners were Lowell (1919-2001) and Elaine (Behn) Swanger (1919-1994) and today their children, Rick and Nicki own the century farm.
The family is well known for feeding cattle through the generations beginning with horse and wagon. Rick and his wife, Deb (Berning) married in 1974 and moved to this farm in 1987. They have 5 children: Shawn, Adam, Richard, Jed and Courtney and 15 grandchildren. With their sons, Adam and Rich, they feed cattle and hogs and raise row crops.
Submitted by Rick and Deb Swanger with Barb Meier

1900 Lois Jensen 105 Maple Street
Marvin and Lois Jensen purchased this property on November 1, 1965 from Pauline Munster for $2400. The Jensen’s raised their four children and Lois continues to reside in the home after Marvin’s death in December 2013. The Jensen’s modernized the kitchen with Marvin building the cabinets, added a laundry room and bathroom on the main floor, enclosed the front porch, built a large deck on the back side of the house, added siding and a double car garage on the west side of the property. They maintained the original character of the home by leaving the natural woodwork throughout the house, an open staircase and open double doorways with spindle trellis. The home continues to be filled with love and activity as Lois (and Marvin before his death) provides day care for many local children. The Jensen’s also have 9 grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren, as well as many nieces and nephews and friends in and out of the house frequently.
The lot was first purchased by Mary Beckwith for $60 from the Blair Town Lot and Land Company in agreement with the Iowa Railroad Land Company on February 21, 1879. The original warranty deed had the following condition: “Upon this express condition, however, that no spirituous liquors of any kind, except for medicinal purposes, shall ever be sold upon said premises; and upon breach of this condition, the said Granters, their heirs, or assigns, may re-enter said premises and hold the same as of their former estate.” This indicates that a small house may have been located on the property.
In 1882, Beckwith sold the property to Wilson Jones for $60 with the same condition in regard to liquor. Grace and A.A. Beane purchased the property in 1885 and in 1886, J. O. Mc Collister was the owner. In 1890, J.T. Montgomery purchased the property for $550 and in 1891, A.M. and Edith Riedesal became the owners. The Riedesels sold the property to Laura and Wm. Warner in 1894 and the property changed hands again when F.W. and Jennie Bangs purchased it in 1899.
T.O. Manning paid $700 for the property in 1899 and probably built the current house. In 1909, Niels Pedersen purchased the property from the Manning children for $4500. In 1917, the liquor condition was considered “a cloud or defect in the title” so the railroad did a ‘release and forever quit claim’ to the present owners. By 1919, Niels relinquished ownership to Peter and Anna Pedersen. They filed for divorce in 1926 and Anna was awarded the home as part of the settlement. Anna raised five children in the home and then sold it to Theodore Munster in 1931 for $2100. Theodore turned the home’s ownership over to his wife, Pauline in 1950 with the express condition that he have the right to the use of the real estate and the building during his lifetime with the further condition that he pay the taxes and upkeep and insurance during his natural lifetime. After he died in 1964, Pauline was happy to see the property go to a couple with young children as she considered it to be a ‘family home’ which it continues to be today.
Submitted by Lois Jensen and Dina Sexton with Dixie Brueck

1913 Steve Schau Farm Ida County, Garfield 5
Undated Aerial Photo of the Louie Schau farm, possibly taken in the early 1940’s
In the early 1920’s, Peter Schau, Sr. erected a tall windmill to generate electricity for batteries stored in the basement of the house. He died of cancer in 1926, so he did not live to see rural Iowa lit up by the Rural Electric Administration (REA) in the 1930’s. This tall windmill was eventually sold to a windmill collector in Nebraska. A smaller windmill pumped well water to the circular redwood water tank which was used as a reservoir for running water in the house. When it began leaking, it was converted to a granary
Abraham Jans Schau (1837-1919) was born Germany. He married Martje Johns (1834-1898) and they had 10 children, all born in Vollervieck, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany. The family traveled to Iowa in the late 1880’s and established a large farming operation 6 miles south of Battle Creek. This area was often referred to “Schau Town”. In his later years, Abraham enjoyed an extended visit to family in his homeland of Germany. When he returned to Iowa, he gave 1040 acres to his seven sons: Claus Wilhelm (1864- ), Jurgen Titus (1865-1930), Gustav Christian (1867-1921), August Peter (1869-1960), Peter Jans (1870-1926), Titus Axen (1871-1924) and Jacob (1873-1962). The three daughters were Christina, (1880-1956) Maria and Doris.
Three of the sons, Peter, August and Claus Wilhelm had purchased land in Garfield township in 1913. Peter purchased hilly ground while August and Wilhelm purchased flat land along the Maple River. About 1920, the brothers decided to trade their 80 acres because both liked the other’s ground better. As a young man, Peter had traveled to Canada to visit cousins and homestead cheap land. While there, he met and married Elizabeth Schmidt(1886-1985) in 1903. She was born in Austria and at age 8, had traveled with her family to Canada. Because of the long, cold winters in Canada, Peter and Elizabeth returned to Iowa. They had 6 children: infant death in Canada, Dora (Ben Petersen) 1905-2005, Alma (Harold Stanton), Louie (Vernette Detlefs) 1909-2001, Lillian (Oliver Eriksen, Wally ‘Sisco’ Johnson)1911-2008, and Peter, Jr. 1914-2001.
Louie and Pete, Jr. inherited this farm from their father, Peter Schau, Sr. They farmed together, and invented ways to make farming easier. Louie earned a patent in 1939 for an auger unloader for wagons full of corn. During the drought years of the 1950’s, the brothers also created a system of pumps, pipes and drainage ditches to irrigate their corn crop from the Maple River. Also in the 1950’s, they erected a Quonset building to raise 2000 capon hens and had the darker red roof shingles arranged to read “Schau Bros”.
Louie married Vernette (Dethlefs) and their son Steve now owns the 160 acres, lives in Battle Creek, and rents the land to Bryce Riessen. The hill land that August and Wilhelm once owned is now owned by the Wayne Burton family. Submitted by Steve Schau with Dixie Brueck

1915 Brian Eason 404 Elm Street
When Brian Eason purchased this home in 2012, he joined a long list of homeowners for this charming two bedroom house.
The land was first owned by the Iowa Railroad and Land Company in 1886 and sold to Albert and Mahala Luce. They were investors and sold this lot to Otto and Annie Rickman in 1888. The Rickman’s probably built this house. Peter and Emma Morrison were the next owners and after Peter’s death in 1899, Emma continued to live here until 1919. After her death, the property went to her family, Willard and Martha Lampman and they sold it to Christian Janssen. After his death in 1939, Etta Wittmaack was the owner until 1947. The next owners were Emil and Tiny Johnson, Ferdinand Fick (1972) Rick Lorenzen (1974) Howard and Helen Hare (1979), Monte Hupke (1989) Brian Bond (1986), Kami Eason (2003) and finally the current owner.
After graduating from Battle Creek High School, Brian attended Iowa State University and earned a B.S. degree. He worked at Iowa Beef Processors (IBP) in Storm Lake and then for Tyson when they bought the company. He was a hog buyer, and now drives a refrigerated trailer. He has one daughter, Nykaya.
submitted by Brian Eason with Dixie Brueck

Bruce and Irene Van Houten farm in the 1970’s
When Doug and Debbie (Tietsort) Van Houten were married and purchased this farm, they continued the legacy of the family farm began by Carlton C. Van Houten in 1887.
C.C. Van Houten (1856-1935) was one of seven children born in Clarion County, Pennsylvania, April 24, 1856 to John and Mary (Boyles) Van Houten. At the age of 20, he came to Iowa and located in Cedar County for three years, then moved to Benton County, and in 1882, came to Battle Creek via the railroad. He purchased 120 acres of land in Section 8, Maple Township in 1887. He married Lizzie Fricke (1858-1896), a native of Muscatine County and they had four sons: Charles Leander (infant death), Homer P., Malcom D. and Orr Roy.
Malcom David (1888-1966) married neighbor girl, Mary Susie (1890-1976) and took over the farming operation in the early 1900’s. They had five children: John, Katherine (Wilbur Schmidt), Kenneth, LeMoine and David Bruce ‘Bud’.
Bruce (1926-2008) married Irene Frandsen in 1949 and first rented and later purchased the farm. The one room country schools had served the rural community for many years and were being closed and sold. The farmstead evolved with a renovated country school house for a home in the late 1950’s. Bud and Irene continued the farming operation, growing corn, oats, alfalfa and soybeans and raising cattle, hogs and chickens. They had three sons: David Alan, Duane Alex and Douglas Marc. When they moved into Battle Creek, Doug and Debbie purchased the farm in the mid 1980’s. They have four children: Joshua (Christie) Keely (Alan Goettsch), Aaron and Justin and seven grandchildren.
Many changes have occurred over the past 128 years; livestock barns, corncribs, granaries, chicken houses, cob house, utility building with an ice house beneath and outhouses are now gone, replaced by steel sheds to house larger farm equipment and livestock, and steel bins to hold the grain. The old school house was dismantled and the current farm home was moved in from another farm in 2013. Aaron Van Houten and his daughter Libby live on the farm, taking the land into the sixth generation. Submitted by Douglas and Debbie Van Houten with Dixie Brueck

1879 Goodenow Farm, Bruce Goodenow and sons Ida County, Maple 26
Bruce and Patricia Goodenow farm about 1975
The Goodenow family roots in America began in 1638 when Edmund Goodenow and his brothers and sister along with their families immigrated to Massachusetts aboard the ship Confidence. They were part of the creation of the city of Sudbury in the County of Middlesex, Massachusetts. This was just 18 years after the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock. The family left England because of religious differences with the Church of England. The family settled around the New England area. Some members took up with the nation’s westward movement eventually ending up with Goodenows in Washington State.
Reverend Smith Bartlet Goodenow started in New England, eventually moving to Waterloo, Iowa before retiring to Ida County in 1880. At age 62, he and his wife Caroline purchased two 80 acre farms. The land had been homesteaded by the Wagners and sold to Fletcher Bogue, both land investors. The Goodenows paid a little over $4.00 per acre. The farm is located about a mile southeast of Battle Creek in section 26 of Maple Township on the Maple River. If the original settlement of Willow Dale had succeeded, their home would have been on the bluff overlooking the town. Smith B. Goodenow was a Congregationalist minister, who, in retirement, continued to serve the church as a substitute minister and as a researcher and writer of religious textbooks. Caroline, a graduate of Holyoke College, was retired from a teaching career.
In May of 1900, Frederick and his wife Daisy purchased his sister Caroline’s half of the farm. Together the couple had a family of 8 children. Daisy died in May 1903 when her youngest child was 6 and the oldest was 22. Frederick was so distraught that he left the family. The children managed. Sidney, the oldest, remained in medical school and had a life-long practice in Colo, Iowa. The next oldest, Caroline, age 19, became the ‘mother’. John, age 16 and Russell, age 11 took over the farming. With help from Harriet, Helen, Ray and Angeline, the family succeeded. All graduated from Battle Creek High School. The older girls taught at local one room schools. Helen went on to be a dietician working at several different universities, finishing her career at the University of Iowa. John and Alice along with Russell and Hazel purchased the farm from their brothers and sisters in 1913. They farmed as partners until 1933 when the business was divided. John and Alice purchased farm land northwest of Battle Creek. Russell and Hazel purchased the ‘home place’ and had three sons: Beryl, Bruce and Don.
In 1971, Bruce and Patricia purchased the farm. Bruce and Pat continued to be cattle producers along with producing grain and hogs. With their takeover however, the chickens, milk cow and half acre garden went away. Their four sons, Michael, Mark, Mason and Mitch now share ownership with their father Bruce. Mason is the managing director and makes his living off the farm.
Submitted by Mark Goodenow with Keith Brown

1881 Dall/Brueck Farm, Henry and Dixie Brueck Ida County, Maple 7 & 8
Dallstead Farm, September 2013
Hans Dall (1845-1931) and Mette Katrina Schmidt (1846-1913) immigrated from Denmark in early 1872 to Dixon, Illinois where they were married in January 1875 and their two sons, Christian (1875) and Henry (1877) were born. In 1881, they were joined by Mette’s cousin, John Hansen and Mette’s brother Hans Smith and his wife Maren Sophie (Nielsen) Smith and their infant son, Christian (1879) to ride the train to Battle Creek, Iowa. The Dall and Smith families purchased parcels of land next to each other northwest of town later that year, and together they built a small salt box type two-room house with a loft on the Smith land in section 9 to live in during the first winter.
In the spring of 1882, a barn and then a house were built on the 80 acre Dall farm in section 8. In 1884, they purchased another 80 acres across the road in section 7, and in 1891, bought another 80 acres in section 7. Their daughter, Carrie was born in 1885 and they had two infant deaths. About 1905, Hans and Mette moved into Battle Creek so their son Henry and his wife Ida could continue farming the land. Henry Dall registered the farm as Dallstead Farm in 1920 and moved the original house across the road for the hired man and built a new two-story home in the same location. In 1929, to expand his seed corn business, he built a new concrete block corncrib and a larger barn east of the corn crib to house the livestock. In 1942, Henry Dall was recognized and honored by The Wallace’s Farmer magazine as a Master Farmer in Ida County. He worked to produce a better seed corn variety and sold Dall Seed Corn as well as breeding shorthorn cattle and raising hogs.
Upon the death of Henry Dall in 1952, the farm passed to his sister, Carrie (Dall) Brueck(1885-1966). She was married to John Henry Brueck, Sr. in 1911 and their family consisted of seven children: John Henry Brueck, Jr., Frederick, identical twins Alice and Carol (Best), Chris, Donald and David. J. Henry Brueck, Jr. married Dawn Elderkin in 1939 and they had three children: Henry Glen, Robert and Mary Jo (Watson). In June 1967, Henry Glen Brueck purchased the farm from the family and in June 1968, he and Dixie Schmidt were married. They have made their home on Dallstead Farm since, raising corn, hay, soybeans, and back grounding feeder cattle. In later years, Henry had a cow/calf operation utilizing the west pasture and the north pasture where shade and fresh water in the West Aldrich Creek were always plentiful.
The original house, brooder house, chicken house, outhouse and granary are today only ghosts on the farm. The two barns, cattle shed, machine shed/garage and corn crib are used for storage. The upright concrete silo stands silent and remains empty from early sileage days in the 1940’s, and the trench silo echoes of sileage days in the 1970’s. The two wire cribs are vacant of ear corn. The orchard is still fruitful and the windbreak to the north and west allows the winter sun to warm the farmstead during the cold winter months. Submitted by Henry and Dixie Brueck
Dixie Brueck

1900 Larry and Mary Jo Watson 400 Elm Street
This two story home sits on a spacious corner lot. It has open east and west porches, bay windows on both levels facing south, an interesting enclosed circular stairway and a double car brick garage that may be older than the house. It has been home to Larry and Mary Jo (Brueck) Watson since 1981.
In 1888, the Blair Town and Lot company purchased this land from the railroad. They divided the land into lots and sold this lot in the 1890’s to Charles (1872-1948) and Ada Stickel (1872-1938). They probably built this house about 1900. In 1913, Sadie Stickel owned this lot and sold it to David Warnock. Joseph Warnock was the owner by 1932. Harry Hough purchased the house about 1945, at the end of World War II. The home passed to his family in 1951 and they sold it to J. Sterling and Ruth (Smith) Persell. Sterling ran a dry cleaning business in Battle Creek, and Ruth was a music teacher, retiring from the Charter Oak-Ute Community School district in 1979. They raised two children in this home, Bronlyn and John. In retirement, the Persell’s moved to Bella Vista, Arkansas and sold the house to the Watson family. Larry and Mary raised their two daughters, Tammy and Marci in this house. They recently added a steel roof and renovated the garage.
Submitted by Larry and Mary Jo Watson with Dixie Brueck

1882 Schrader Farm, Jeri Schrader and Lori SchraderBachar
Ida County, Garfield 24
Mary Ellen, father John Schrader,
Mother Mary Ellen (Pike), John ‘Jack’,
Billy(on lap) and Lois Schrader about 1928
The farm in Garfield 24 was purchased from the Iowa Railroad Land Company in 1882 by William and Caroline (Witte) Schrader, Sr. They purchased 80 acres for $792. The Schraders had arrived from Germany in 1875, and settled in Low Moor, Iowa near Clinton for a few years. They travelled by train in 1882 to Ida County and purchased this farm. They had at least one child.
Son William Schrader, Sr. (1856-1943) and his wife Anna (Manson) Schrader (1859-1936) were the next owners. They were married in 1886 and had five children: John (Mary Ellen Pike) 1887-1978; Emma (Charles Brueck, Fred Ohm) 1889-1993; William, Jr. (Irma Tollufson) 1890-1973; Anna (Peter Leenaars) 1898-1997 and Louis (Ida Bohlman) 1893-1977.
This farm was then owned by John and Mary Ellen (Pike) Schrader. They had 4 children: Mary Ellen (Marshall Peavy), Lois (Louis Chlap), John ‘Jack’(Geraldine King) , and William ‘Billy’ (Phyllis Stoll). More land was acquired in the area and the Schrader Brothers worked together farming with horses, and then tractors. They raised cattle, hogs, corn, oats and later, soybeans.
It was purchased by John Jesse ‘Jack’ and Geraldine ‘Jeri’ (King) Schrader about 1978. Jack was a veteran of WWII and a graduate of the University of South Dakota. When Jack returned to the farm after serving his country in the U.S. Army, he purchased the family’s first John Deere tractor. He met Jeri when she was working as a nurse at a Sioux City hospital. Jack and Jeri had one daughter, Lori Martha. Lori is married to Steve SchraderBachar and they have two children: John Jesse ‘JJ’ and Naomi, ’Noni”. After Jack’s death in 2001, the land is currently owned by Jeri Schrader and her daughter, Lori SchraderBachar.
Submitted by Jeri Schrader and Lori SchraderBachar with Dixie Brueck

1910 James and Denise Fundermann 701 6th Street
James and Denise purchased this quaint house with a charming front porch in 2001. They completely remodeled the interior, added a new roof, and painted the exterior. Kathy Fritz and her family have enjoyed living here for many years.
In 1904, several lots of land in the northwest corner of town were purchased from the railroad by Hans Christensen Dall. In 1909, George H. Nailor purchased this lot and built the house. Other owners of the home have included John Potter (1917), August Neubauer (1927), Peter LaFrentz (1935), R. T. and Nola Jordan for $1200 (1941), Charles E. Crane (1944), Chris and Cecelia Lorenzen for $3900 (1962), Roland and Dorothy Beaudette, Delbert and Margie Rupp, Roy and Viola Smith, Norman and Donna Bockelman, David and Nancy Isgrig, Robert Libke and Jason Kirkpatrick.
Submitted by James and Denise Fundermann with Dixie Brueck

1910 Donald Lewis 302 1st Street
Owner Donald Lewis has lived in this century home since 1988 and enjoyed the large lot and close proximity to the main highway through Battle Creek. He had a front row seat with the recent renovation of highway 175!
The property was first owned by John and Nettie Kendall in 1895 and a small home was probably located there. The current home was built by them in 1910. The home passed to W. W. Kendall and R.A. Hobert in 1927. In 1930, Lewis and Elizabeth Winegar purchased the home. In 1943, Emma Moltman owned the home, passing it to her children Shirley and Lambert Wiese, Joyce Albers and Emy Lou Keriakedes in 1951. It became a rental property for many years. In 1978, the home was purchased by James L. and Janelle M. Conley. Donald and Joan Lewis bought the house in 1988. Joan died in 2001. Donald retired from Westendorf Manufacturing in Onawa in 2006 after 39 years with that business. He has added a double car garage to the property and has proudly framed and displayed his “This Old House” sign near his front door for the BC 150th celebration.
Submitted by Donald Lewis with Dixie Brueck

1900-2015 Arwood Jessen 408 Elm Street
This home was purchased by Elmer and Lorene Jessen in 1969 and their son Arwood purchased the home from his siblings in 2004.
The land was owned by the Iowa Central and Air Line Railroad Company in 1857 and sold to the Cedar Rapids and Missouri River Railroad Corporation in 1869. The first owners of the lot were Charles and Ellen Brown in 1870. They probably built a small house, then sold it to William and Sally Wagoner in 1875. In 1883, Dr. A. E. Conn purchased the house and built the current house in 1900. He sold it in 1911 to Margaret McHugh with David Hedrick, the banker, as co-signer. Subsequent owners include Henry and Christine Dethlefs (1915), A. J. and Mae Warn (jeweler-1919), W.H. and Irene Empey (veterinarian-1928), Leonard and Mae Hare (1944) and Jim and Iris Witt (1957). Elmer and Lorene added vinyl siding and Arwood recently replaced the asphalt roof.
